Friday 15th April marks Micro-volunteering day. A day to highlight and raise awareness about micro-volunteering, its benefits and how you can get involved.
What is Micro Volunteering?
“Micro-volunteering is bite-size volunteering with no commitment to repeat and with minimum formality, involving short and specific actions that are quick to start and complete” (National Council for Voluntary Organisations)
We often find that people want to volunteer but for one reason or another do not have the time to commit to regular volunteering. Micro-volunteering is perfect for those who want to make a difference in the community but have limited time to give.
How can I get involved?
If Micro-Volunteering appeals to you, below you will find some suggestions of causes you could support:
- Why not join our Community Exchange? This is where we post informal, one-off volunteering opportunities on behalf of organisations, groups or individuals.
- With the Platinum Jubilee approaching, why not volunteer at one of the Borough’s Big Lunch Events, or event host your own Big Lunch event in your street or home.
- The Fun Walk Trust are dedicating their annual event to the Queens Platinum jubilee this year and are encouraging participants to complete a sponsored 5k walk, jog or run to raise money for a local charity or community group during June.
- The Rotary Club of Billericay Mayflower are running events over the 3rd & 4th June and are looking for event volunteers to help set up, pack away and marshal. To offer support contact us at: email@example.com
- If you would like to support the people of Ukraine, the local charity Hope and Aid Direct are looking for support in various ways.
- Park Runs are run locally over weekends and require volunteers to help the events run smoothly and safely. Park Runs take place at Basildon, Billericay and Wickford, and you can volunteer as a one off, or as and when suits you.
- United in Kind run the ‘Hug in a Shrug’ project whereby volunteers can knit or crochet blankets, shrugs and other items to give to members of the community to remind them they are not alone.
- The charity Trust Links are taking on volunteers to support them as a one off at their local events: Micro Volunteer Role – Events and Promotional for Trust Links – BBW Volunteer Network
- If you can sew, The Pachamama Project CIC are looking for volunteers to sew reusable sanitary pads for distribution to people who menstruate who are suffering extreme period poverty: Sew Easy-to-Make Reusable Sanitary Pads for Refugees and Vulnerable People Around the World for THE PACHAMAMA PROJECT CIC – BBW Volunteer Network
- You may wish to become a ‘Dementia Friend’ and help educate others about dementia and the affect it can have on people
- Help spread the word about a charity or non-profit organisation by sharing their social media posts
- Why not help to fundraise for a local good cause? You could arrange a small event, or carry out a sponsored activity. You will find a selection of local charities and groups here.
- British Red Cross – Ukraine Support – Ukraine | British Red Cross
- Ride London are looking for approximately 200 volunteers to be Ride Marshals at their event on 29th Sign up here
- Be My Eyes is a free app that connects blind and low-vision people with sighted volunteers and company representatives for visual assistance through a live video call.
Remember – small actions can have a big impact!