We are recruiting for a team of specialist volunteers to help us provide bereavement support to the bereaved. If you have previous skills and training in counselling; support work; working with the bereaved; or have lived through a past bereavement which you feel has given a foundation from which to support others, we are particularly interested in hearing from you.
Specifics of this role
This role is currently being carried out remotely via telephone calls. Going forward we would also welcome volunteers who are able to support face-to-face by making home visits but this is not a requirement for the role.
• We have a very varied range of volunteering opportunities so if this role doesn't work for you, let us know so we can find something that is right for you and the client
• We want you to enjoy your volunteering and we really value regular feedback
• Whilst all applications to volunteer are on equal merit we really welcome those in later years
• People fund what we do, so we often need to ask you and those you befriend for case studies to show the positive impact which your volunteering has had.
• We DBS check and reference all team members and provide relevant training -there are no costs involved for you.
What skills do I need?
• Good communication and listening skills
• Skills, training or personal experience in support, counselling, bereavement and loss
• Experience of working or volunteering with older people and families
• Awareness of and sensitivity to the issues faced by those needing emotional support and recently bereaved
• Good telephone and face-to-face manner
• Open and adaptable
• Respectful and courteous
• Patience and understanding
• Sensitivity, compassion and tact
• work flexibly with available technology to offer support
• make written client records where necessary
• work autonomously
• monitor and report on own workload
• undertake relevant training and supervision as required
• communicate well with your supervisor about all client information
• maintain confidentiality
• adhere to data protection and safeguarding policies & procedures
- Data Protection policy
- DBS check required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Suitable for under 18s
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer policy
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 21/09/2021
End Date: 21/09/2022
A minimum time commitment of one hour a week is expected.