Based in Colchester, Firstsite is the East of England's leading visual arts organisation. Over the past 20 years we have been presenting contemporary art, music and film to local, national and international audiences, which are supported by an integrated programme of creative events and learning activities - from drop-in sessions for parents and toddlers and young peoples' creative development, to arts and craft courses for adults, film screenings, and talks and debates in our state of the art auditorium. Our iconic Rafael ViÃ±oly designed building opened to the public in September 2011.
If you are 16 or over, interested in the arts and would like to get involved with Firstsite, we'd love to hear from you.
We are seeking enthusiastic and friendly individuals to support our front of house, exhibition, event and learning activities.
How volunteers can support Firstsite
• Welcome visitors to the venue
• Support front of house with enquiries, box office, and sales
• Provide information and assistance to visitors
• Engage and inspire visitors within the gallery spaces
• Lead and assist guided tours
• Support learning activities
• Help look after the gallery spaces
• Assist with retail operations
• Aid exhibition and curatorial staff during installation and exhibition changeovers
• Ensure the safety of visitors and artwork
• Act as ambassadors at exhibition events
Benefits of volunteering
• Meet new people from a variety of backgrounds
• Gain experience in a contemporary art venue
• Training, development opportunities and references (visitor services, art gallery, retail)
• Travel costs may be claimed (to a set daily maximum)
• Discounts in our shop and catering
• Social events, private views, talks from industry professionals
What skills do I need?
We are looking to recruit volunteers who:
• Are welcoming and friendly
• Have an interest in the arts
• Enjoy liaising with the public
• Are keen to share their knowledge and passion
• Are able to contribute to our visitors' enjoyment
• Can encourage and stimulate all visitor groups including families, young people, older people and groups
• Are enthusiastic and keen to learn
• Have a good knowledge of Colchester and local attractions
• Are punctual and reliable
- DBS check required
Depending on role
- Equal opportunities policy
Firstsite is fully committed to equal opportunities and welcomes applications from everyone.
- Expenses reimbursed
to a set daily maximum
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Suitable for under 18s
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 14/04/2016
End Date: 31/12/2022
Volunteer shifts are split into morning, afternoon and evening sessions. Opening hours vary through the year, such as holidays and special events. Each shift includes a break. Volunteers may sign up on either a regular or ad-hoc basis.