Vacancies for Prettygate, Witham & Braintree, for other areas in the county please enquire.
What is the role about?
To deliver library items to Home Library Service customers in their own homes, sheltered housing or in care homes. These are customers unable to get to their local library and these deliveries enable them to continue to enjoy reading. This is especially important at the moment as they may have run out of reading material due to the service’s suspension during lockdown.
What will it involve?
- delivering a selection of books, audio books and DVDs to customer’s homes (whilst observing socially distancing guidelines)
- phoning customers to tell them you’re delivering and ask how and where they want the items placed
- these items will have been selected by library staff for the customer (usually based on their personal preferences for format and genre)
- exchanging a brief, socially distanced, chat with the customer to check they are ok
- if appropriate flagging up to the library contact any need that the customer may express (so we can either signpost to other organisations that help or refer the customer)
What will you get from volunteering?
- satisfaction of helping people carry on reading; an activity that they enjoy and can bring real health and wellbeing benefits
- opportunity to help people who are isolated, support them to live at home and keep them in touch with their local community
- satisfaction of giving something to the community
What skills do I need?
- access to a car and a full driving licence
- an interest in people
- enthusiasm for books and reading is not necessary but would be a bonus
- good communication and people skills
- able to work on own initiative
- ability to carry moderate amounts of books and other library materials
- a practical and patient nature
- Data Protection policy
- DBS check required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
Volunteers can claim mileage payments
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
There will be ongoing support from local library staff.
- Suitable for under 18s
Over 18s only
- Training provided
You will complete a short online training course to prepare you for this volunteering role.
- Volunteer induction
You will receive induction and a welcome pack
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 12/10/2020
End Date: 12/10/2021
On average 3 (ideally minimum 5hrs per week) volunteers per library This will be an as and when required role.