We are looking for very special volunteers who have the time, commitment and patience to support us in training the next generation of guide dogs! Our volunteer Puppy Raisers develop and care for a guide dog puppy in their home from the age of 6-7 weeks to approximately 12-15 months. You will be providing the puppy with a vital foundation for its future role as a guide dog with a blind or partially-sighted person.
This is a full-time volunteering role as the puppy will live with the volunteer
Location: At home and in the community, as directed by your Puppy Development Advisor
What does the role involve?
• Feeding, training and generally caring for a puppy's needs on a daily basis is time consuming and, particularly when very young, they cannot be left on their own for more than three hours
• You will develop and care for a puppy as directed by your supervisor and as described in Puppy Walking Policies and Procedures.
• You will familiarise the puppy with many different environments
• Teaching basic obedience commands.
• You will need access to a suitable area where the puppy could go to the toilet during the day, including first thing in the morning and last thing at night
Puppy walking is a labour of love! It is hard work but is greatly rewarding as you play a huge part in shaping our future guide dogs! You will have the satisfaction of knowing that the dog you have cared for is going on to improve the life of a visually impaired person, enabling them to get out and about on their own terms. You will have ongoing support from a dedicated member of staff who will work with you regularly to ensure your puppy is meeting it's training goals. You will also build friendships with other puppy walkers in your community, whilst you train and socialise your puppies together.
What skills do I need?
Good communication skills
Good interpersonal skills
Experience of being in an environment around dogs an advantage
We do not require volunteers to have any previous dog handling experience as we provide full training, equipment and ongoing support for the role. We just ask that you are passionate about the charity, keen to learn and follow the instructions of your supervisor and have the stamina, commitment and patience to care for a young puppy in your home!
- Data Protection policy
- DBS check required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Suitable for under 18s
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 26/05/2021
End Date: 18/09/2022