We are currently recruiting male volunteers from Tendring aged 18+ to train as reading mentors in local Primary Schools in Tendring area.
Reading mentors build relationships by talking about how the mentees are feeling, their interests, reading aloud to their mentees, talking about books and being positive and consistent.
Commitment Time: Two hours a week during term time in a school environment, for twelve weeks. Starting in March 2024.
What skills do I need?
• A background in working with young people an advantage, though not essential as full training will be given.
• Sincere desire to help young males achieve personal and developmental goals.
• Ability to communicate with males age 10-11 years, openly and non-judgmentally.
• Strong reading and listening skills.
• Practical problem-solving skills and ability to suggest options and alternatives.
• Sensitivity to persons of different educational, economic, cultural or racial backgrounds.
• Ability to maintain boundaries and confidentiality.
• Willingness to commit to volunteering for 3 months.
• A clear DBS (police) record.
- Data Protection policy
- DBS check required
Lads Need Dads will organise and fund the enhanced DBS check
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
We pay a maximum of 25 miles round journey at 0.40p a mile
- Ongoing support
Volunteers will receive regular and ongoing supervision and be expected to attend monthly on-line supervision meetings and bi-monthly in-person team meetings
- Suitable for under 18s
- Training provided
Two days training carried out over 2 Saturdays
- Volunteer induction
This takes place after satisfactory completion of training
- Volunteer policy
You will be provided with a Volunteer Handbook
- Volunteers covered by insurance
We carry public and employer liability insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 01/01/2024
End Date: 19/02/2025
2 hours a week Hours flexible between 9am and 2pm