As a volunteer Advocate you will work to defend people’s rights and interests and support their wishes to be heard; for them to be treated with dignity and have their views respected.
Our advocacy services are governed by principles based on independence, empowerment, confidentiality, inclusion and free access. All advocates only act on their clients’ instruction. You will be part of the whole Advocacy team, and in your role you may be helping individuals to have their voice heard on issues concerning their wellbeing, care and treatment.
As a Volunteer Advocate you could support someone to:
· Listen to their views and build trust and a confidential relationship
· Find information so they can make choices and sort out problems
· Empower them to voice their views
· Speak on their behalf if they wish so
· Support them to understand their rights and responsibilities
· This role requires 4 to 6 hours per week, Monday to Friday 9 am to 5pm
We will give:
· Full training & access to e-learning materials
· Support & supervision
· Opportunity to develop positive relationships with individuals and organisations across the community
· Reimbursement of reasonable travel expenses
When enquiring please state which are of Essex you live in
What skills do I need?
· Good Communication skills
· Good listening skills
· Ability to empathise
· Motivation to secure the rights of clients and service users
· Able to Comply with all relevant Rethink policies, procedures and processes
· Be comfortable to ask for help and support when needed
· Willing to commit to further training and development
· Working with, or having knowledge or personal experience of mental health issues, is an advantage but not essential
· Having basic skills and working knowledge of IT (i.e. word and using emails)
· Please note that Volunteer Advocates will, as part of their training, be required to travel to identified locations in Essex where advocacy services are delivered to shadow experienced Advocates.
- Data Protection policy
- DBS check required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Suitable for under 18s
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
This role requires 4 to 6 hours per week, during weekdays between 9 am & 5pm