Life Wood is an inspirational charity at the heart of the community in
Basildon, and across South Essex. Our mission is to take lives and goods that
others would discard, and provide the means to see those lives and goods
renewed and become a valued part of our community We work with adults from the
local community who volunteer within the charity to help equip and support them
back into paid employment, and to help bring about positive change in their
lives. These include ex offenders and those with a past history of mental
health and drug and alcohol issues.
We aim to do this by means of a wood regeneration and recycling initiative - recycling lumber, reducing landfill, and restoring lives. Our impact is life changing and helps protect our environment too.
Our ethos of care reflects our Christian values and principles and we consider our work as a practical expression of God’s love for our local community
What skills do I need?
Tasks and responsibilities
• Accompany our wood collection truck driver on wood collections from local construction sites and timber merchants in and around the Basildon and across South Essex
• Help to load and unload our 3.5 tonne truck with wood
• An opportunity to build confidence and social skills, and become part of a great team.
• An opportunity to really make a difference in your local community
• Although the work is labour intensive and physically demanding – it’s also hugely rewarding and a great way of keeping fit!
• You can gain valuable volunteer experience, and be provided with a reference which can be beneficial to potential employers for employment opportunities
Key Skills and Requirements
• For this role, volunteers need to be in good general health and physically fit
• Be happy to work outdoors in all weathers
• Previous experience of working as a labourer and on a construction site would be advantageous
• A confident, polite and approachable manner as you will be representing New Life Wood out and about in the community.
• An ability to work as part of a team
Training and Support
• Full Health and Safety Training will be provided as well as PPE (personal protective Equipment) to equip you in this role.
• An induction and welcome to the Charity will also be provided upon starting the role
You will start and finish your volunteering shift at the premises of New Life Wood, Wat Tyler Park, Pitsea SS16 4UH. During your volunteering hours you will visit construction sites and timber merchants across South Essex, from Thurrock to Shoeburyness.
- Equal opportunities policy
- Health and Safety Policy
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 19/11/2020
End Date: 19/11/2021
• A minimum of 4 hrs per week, various shifts available • Between the hours of 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday